Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Annex Evolution...

It has been a long road getting the Annex ready.  It started with a conversation and slowly grew into something real.  We still have a lot of work to do to get it just right, but it'll take time to learn the needs of the space and adjust accordingly.

Here are some of the pictures of space in process.

It basically started out as a storage unit for the building.  It became a repository for all the leftover construction materials and random pieces of furniture left by previous tenants.

This is what will be the future internet office.  Notice the faux wood paneling and stained wallpaper.

It's hard to tell from this picture, but we selected this place for the space.  It doesn't look like much, but we've poured a lot of energy into transforming it from a dumping ground into a classroom.

After we cleared the junk out, we had to remove the wallpaper.  It was coming up in sections and it had absorbed 40 years worth of odors and smells.


We tried to keep tidy while we were working and ended up clearing the space out periodically.

The next step was to prime the wood paneling and the walls.  We wanted the space to feel light and bright.

Another challenge came in the form of the ceiling.  The acoustic tiles that line it also soaked up smells and was a dingy yellow color.  We had to paint it.
This is a picture of my studio.  It was during the wallpaper scraping process.

Here is the space after we went over the primer and added the accent color to the wainscoting.  I also cleaned the window (which was filthy and covered in duct tape residue) and hung drapes.

This image also shows some of our furniture.  We still need to soundproof the side wall, change out the lights, get more equipment (like a TV screen and a camera to help blow up and demonstrate smaller projects).  Little by little, it has come along and will continue to improve. 

I still need to move my studio into the space and unpack, but this is a quick snapshot of what the studio looks like after the wallpaper was removed and the walls were painted.  I wanted something bright and bold.  I liked this saturated blue green and thought that it was very invigorating.

It is nice to see that after so much energy has been poured into the project, it is finally spreading wings

4 comments:

maryharding said...

Amazing transformation. Looks great!!

Anne said...

Looks great! I know quite a few bead stores that will be envious of that classroom.

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Wow-looks fantastic! You really transformed the space beautifully!

Patricia Wood said...

Great job, congratulations!!