Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sanctuary...

The realms of the faery were often times considered to be sanctuaries for all manners of creatures. Some tales tell of the faerie kind and how they've receded into Otherworldly domains as refuges from the reign of man or in disgust of the human world. Some flee to these magical places because they are hunted and captured for their powers, or because their tribes and clans are at war with each other.

I've created this piece with those stories in mind.

The focal of this piece is made up of a polymer and resin component from Lynn Davis of Expedition D, Vintaj natural brass filigree, vintage sequins from Gail Crosman Moore, Swarovski crystals, and a skeleton key from my family at Green Girl Studios.

The rest of the piece is made up pearls and Swarovski crystals from Artbeads.com, ceramic rounds from Keith O'Connor, recycled glass from Bronwen Heilman of GhostCow Glassworks, and a shibuichi flower clasp that's also from my family at Green Girl Studios.

I quite like how the piece turned out.

14 comments:

Cynthia of Cynful Creations said...

As usual, Andrew, it's fantastic! I like how the beads get larger and chunkier as they progress to the fabulous centre focal.

TesoriTrovati said...

Gorgeous! I love Lynn's pieces and they work so well with all the other beads and components that came out to play on your bead board! Wonderful inspiration! Enjoy the day! Erin

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

It's beautiful

Davinia said...

Delurking to say what a beautiful necklace and what a wonderful way to inspire creativity.

Unknown said...

Now that is really Fine wine!!!!

Luthien Thye said...

what a beauty!! looks like the new environment is inspiring you to create :))

Azure Accessories said...

Gorgeous...I love to click on the photo to get a larger view...the combination of all the shapes sizes and textures just works!
Cheers

ClickNCamera said...

Awesome! I do love that focal bead...enjoy your day!

Unknown said...

I love this concept and love this piece. Sanctuary is a wonderful word with great connotations and I love the picture your piece puts with it. well done, friend.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

WOW, just WOW - Andrew it is gorgeous and such a creative way to use the resin piece.

Obviously I need to send you some more, they definitely like working with you. I'm thrilled you enjoyed working with them, too.

And the story is special too. My grateful thanks for using the resin in your talented hands to create it. --lynn--

Marie Cramp said...

Andrew that is truly stunning!! Thanks for sharing your talent with us it is always a pleasure to see your work, both on-line and in publications :)

Marie
http://skyejewels.blogspot.com

Riki Schumacher said...

I love it! Nicely done. Guess I need to get a bead or two from Lynn!

Anonymous said...

Looove your jewelry...

Jeannie said...

This is so weird. I was in a place of refuge seeking sanctuary the last 3 days or so and I go to your blog Andrew and you have this necklace. This beautiful, magical, love mix of a necklace.
I so envy those faeries!