Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Last Bird of Winter...

While I created this piece, I thought about what a winter faerie would wear. (As you can probably tell, I'm running with this faerie theme!) I also thought about at what point does one know that it is undeniably winter... I don't think there's a Weather Channel for the Fair Folk. So, I think that the sign would be when the last bird flies South for their annual migration. Therefore, I used a sterling silver bird clasp from my family at Green Girl Studios to symbolize the last bird.

In this piece, I also used wire-wrapped tumbled agate nuggets, pearls and quartz crystal. I acquired all of these from BeadTrust. With the smaller sterling silver chain from Ornamentea and the wire-wrapped agate chain, I "cheated" and used a pre-fab Swarovski cup-link chain from Artbeads.com. The Swarovski crystal sterling silver-plated ball is from Fusion Beads. I also incorporated some recycled glass beads from Browen Heilman of GhostCow Glassworks. They heavier silver chain at the top is handmade.

The focal is a lovely ceramic piece from Marsha Neal Studio. I love the chilly blue glaze and the swirly pattern. To accent the ceramic piece, I dangled a sterling silver Candice Wakumoto branch component that I had up in my Shop. At the end of the branch I dangled a Czech glass teardrop from Raven's Journey. I think this parallels the shape of the stick pearl layered over the ceramic piece nicely.

I'm quite pleased with the way this one turned out. The Marsha Neal pedant has sat on my work table waiting for just the right piece to come along.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

I LOVE this...the colour scheme is beautifully gentle and the pearls give it a lovely warmth....just gorgeous!

Azure Accessories said...

Beautiful...there is so much going on and yet it all works together!!!

Cheers

heather noye said...

These are beautiful. I love the silver and blue colors.

And in Faree the season can change with every step!!! It all depends on whose Kingdom you happen to be in. ;-)

Jean Hutter said...

You are on fire with this faerie theme. I think it is great to work on a series like this - one piece can influence the next - you sure are on a roll!! I am loving every piece so far!!!

AJ said...

I am loving this faerie theme! Can't wait to see what you make next :)

Melissa J. Lee said...

Beautiful - I love the idea behind this piece!

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Amazing work as always... I have to admit, without being gross - I love your brain!!! You've got a good one...
Thank you for being able to continually pull so much together to give us all "oohs and aaahs" when we see the finished piece...

Lisa Crone said...

Very ethereal! Fabulous, of course! :)

Kokopelli said...

Stunning! Love the color scheme. I'm still waiting for winter to come. It's waaaayyyyyy to warm here.