Monday, September 05, 2016

Creative heART Challenge: Earth Fire Ruby Earrings...

For my second submission for my Creative heART  Challenge, I created a set of earrings.  Each of the earrings feature semi-rough rubies that were culled from my personal collection.  I wire-wrapped bails and bead caps with copper wire that I then covered in (lead-free) silver-bearing soft solder.  I like how this technique gives them a two-tone effect.  The dangles are hung off of niobium earwires that are colored with electricity.  The earwires were made by my friend, Marti Brown.  I love how organic the earrings turned out.  So earthy.

I've always loved rubies.  I love the warm, vibrant color.  When I was a little kid, I fantasized about treasure chests filled with rubies that looked like technicolor, allergy-inducing Red Dye #40 candy.  I imagined running my fingers through the stones and feeling like the a king.

Later, I discovered rough rubies and I was instantly smitten.  While I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for faceted, gem-quality specimens with pristine clarity, there's just something about rough stones that makes my heart race.  I think it has to do with the fact that they seem like they're plucked from the earth and have load more character than their sister stones.

It's the kind of excitement you get when you're walking along a creek bed, your pant legs rolled up and your barefeet in the cool, clean water.  You're looking down through the sparkling surface, seeing little fish darting around your Achilles tendons.  As you're walking along, suddenly you see something that stands out from the rest.  Against the monochromatic blend of tumbled tans, browns, and beiges... there's a spark of glowing fire.

If you're interested in finding out more and getting your hands on a pair, CLICK HERE, HERE, HERE, or HERE.  You can also CLICK HERE to see all of the new Creative heART Challenge offerings.

1 comment:

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

They're beautiful, Andrew. I don't think I've ever seen raw rubies used in jewelry before.