Monday, August 08, 2016

Mark Making...

Lately, I've been searching for a more meaningful way to connect to people on the internet.  I've been a little overwhelmed with the onslaught of emotions on some of the other social media outlets, and decided to try and reconnect with my blog after being estranged from the routine of updating on a regular basis.  I've had the intention for a few months now to try and really get back into the habit, but it just hasn't clicked.  After reading yet another post about senseless violence and brutality, it finally pushed me over the edge.

As I visited my blog (admittedly for the first time in several weeks) and looked closer, I realized just how neglected it was.  If virtual tumbleweeds and cobwebs existed, they would have been here.  The header banner was one I had been using for far too long and the sidebars were littered with dead links.  I systematically went through the lists and realized just how daunting of a project this would be.  Whereas once I used to keep daily accounts of my friends and colleagues through my blog, as a sort of springboard into the activities of the blogosphere and beyond, I've since replaced and supplemented it with other social media outlets and as a result, have not been diligent in maintaining a presence on my blog.

So far, I've done some cosmetic changes and done a cursory once over.  I'd be lying if I said that it didn't make me a little sad.  So many people who I once used to hold a daily communion with, even if over the invisible threads of blogosphere, have disappeared or moved on.  I read post after post about people distracted by life, saying farewell, and hoping to be better bloggers in the future.  Some of the posts were months old... some even years old.  They felt like carved initials in a tree trunk, with some letters freshly scored and others... fading into illegibility.  I felt guilty for not being there to wish them well on their new ventures or encourage them to keep going.  All was not completely lost though.  A few links were bright and fresh, with newly updated posts.  Even with some of the blogs that have ended, I know that they've just shifted their focus and their energy and I can keep up with them in other ways.

As I ran my fingers quickly over the imaginary gouged out letters, I felt a splinter or two prick my fingertips.  I found remnants of former friendships that have since ended.  For a few brief moments, I thought about attempting to reach out and mend fences.  Then better judgement kicked in.  There were reasons why certain relationships ended and a dead link on a much neglected blog isn't a compelling enough motivation for me to revisit those missteps.  Why dwell on the negative?  I've started already, but it will take some serious time for me to go through the lists and cull those who I no longer resonate with or are who are no longer active.  Even more time will be necessary to add new links and highlight new friendships and business relationships.

Just like a forgotten tree house, it'll take time to beat out the rug, blow off the dust, and repair all the creaking, loose boards.  And maybe if I hang the flag high enough and make my tree house inviting once more, some of those friends who I miss and who used to post the most brilliant, beautiful, moving things will do so again.  We'll throw our heads back, hoot and holler, and shout out into the wild – calling our kindred spirits to us.  I'll invite them over for tea and lemonade and animal crackers.  We'll swing on the tire swing and make new memories.

6 comments:

Sarajo Wentling said...

Welcome back, Andrew! I look forward to hearing more of your voice here. :)

Cynthia Thornton said...

I like your blog! Glad you'll be posting more.

Joan Tucker said...

welcome back. if you post , I will post... how about it?

Andrew Thornton said...

Sounds like a plan, Joan!

CraftyHope said...

I'm glad to hear you're coming back to blogging. It seems as though many have taken some time off or away from blogging. I was beginning to wonder if blogging in general was a dead art. Glad to hear it's not. Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

I love this.