Thursday, July 02, 2015

Inspired by Reading June Blog Hop...

For June we read, "An Atlas of Impossible Longing" by Anuradha Roy.  The novel chronicles three generations of an Indian family and details their struggles and successes.  The book was met with mixed reviews.  Some said that they stopped reading because it was too emotionally engrossing and others enjoyed the lavishly detailed writing that sounded almost like a fairytale.


Without further ado... here's the reveal:

Laurel made this necklace.  Here's what she had to say about it:  "This is not what I originally hoped to create.  However, this happened to be a project that I started a few weeks ago and it fit the bill for what I envisioned in the part of the book when the narrator describes where Amulya (the family patriarch) comes home to have lunch or finish his day in peace and quiet in his garden.  I brought in a piece of my Michael Aram to serve cheese and crackers on for the in-person meet up just because the leaf reminded me of something tropical from that garden."

I made this piece.  The first part of the book is called, "The Drowned House" and it was hard for me to get this image out of my mind.  The way that Roy describes the water as a fading sepia tone photograph, just stuck with me.  I recently acquired these brown chalcedony faceted rondelles and wanted to use them, since they looked so much like the image of the water in my mind.  I balanced them out with bronze spacers and a bronze toggle from Saki Silver, and used metallic gold Czech glass beads.  I incorporated a little bit of gold in the piece because Amulya's wife recalls a traveling goldsmith that would come to her door in her family home.  And who doesn't want a traveling goldsmith to drop by?

But wait... there's more!  Check out what these other participants of the Inspired by Reading Book Club made with "An Atlas of Impossible Longing" in mind:


"An Atlas of Impossible Longing" marked the last selection from our 2014/2015 titles!  Our July title, "Swamplandia!" by Karen Russell, is our first book in the new selections!  The newest selections were all nominated by different participants.  CLICK HERE for the full list.  The in-person meet up is scheduled for Wednesday, July 29th and the blog hop is scheduled for the next day.  If you're interested in keeping up with what we're doing, CLICK HERE to visit our Facebook page.

1 comment:

Sarajo Wentling said...

Laurel, nice use of those lucite flowers... and I love your display platter!

Andrew, I really like your sepia toned necklace. Gorgeous and totally wearable!