Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cincinnati Chili...

When the weather starts getting nippy, I bring out the big pot!  I make soups and stews as a way to combat the coming cold.  Last night, I made an overflowing pot of Cincinnati Chili.  I picked up a starter pack from G Squared across the street, but I have to admit that I modified the recipe.  (I can't think of a time when I didn't tweak a recipe at least a little bit.)  I sauteed onions and garlic to flavor the beef and also added sweet sausage.  Since I was tripling the portion sizes, I tossed in a blend of additional pinto, kidney, and black beans.  I also included Scharffen Berger bittersweet dark chocolate.  Before serving, I put in some bacon and a second "dump" of spices.  One thing I've learned from watching Food Network chili cook-off competitions is that they use multiple spice "dumps" at different stages in cooking.

Tonight, I'm going to make up some spaghetti and serve the chili over it the way they do out in Cincinnati.

4 comments:

Joan Tucker said...

LIke the recipe and also the banner is very bright and inviting, JT

Coffeefreek53 said...

Thanks for saying you put chocolate in your chili!! I do and my workmates think I am goofy. They say it doesn't taste like chili should taste. I beg to differ, I think my chili rocks. Oh, yeah, I also add a bottle of beer, whatever is handy.

Andrew Thornton said...

I sometimes add a bottle of dark beer... alas... I drank it all.

My secret ingredient though is cinnamon. I think it helps round out the flavors and compliments the other spices. I think with the chocolate, it gives the chili a more aromatic quality and gives it more depth.

Cynthia said...

Hmmmm....chocolate you say? That sounds interesting.
Putting it on pasta reminds me of the St. Louis way to eat chili - on macaroni, with a fried egg on top!