Monday, January 25, 2010

A Small Rant...

You might have noticed that at the end of my last blog post, I included a "Required FTC Disclosure". Let me start of by saying that I'm completely against this. I think it's a violation of personal civil liberties outlined in the First Amendment. Any dilution of the Freedom of Speech is bad news. Not only does it violate Freedom of Speech, but it also invades privacy, presupposes jurisdiction over the world wide web and personal opinion, and is a huge waste of time to have the government monitor who's being naughty and who's being nice. The only reason why I'm in compliance with the new FTC Regulations is that I don't want to have the sponsors of the products I review penalized or fined. And really... I don't want to be fined either. Keep in mind, if you don't play nice, you could get an $11,000 fine!

If you'd like to find out more about the new FTC guidelines CLICK HERE.

3 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

That piece is NOT WITHOUT brilliance Andrew!
And I completely agree with you on the FTC thing... don't we have bigger fish to fry than worrying if I am giving an honest opinion?
Thank you for this.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Jeannie said...

Being a ARTBEAD team blogger myself I completely and totally agree with you. I was outraged by this. Like Erin said we have bigger things in this world to worry about. UGH!

Lynn said...

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous -- so in the opt-in/opt-out etc info you have to use for a legal mailing list. Sigh.

I bet if you put a blanket statement on the right side of your blog page you wouldn't have to post it every time. But I haven't read the 80-some pages to make sure. lol.