Sunday, December 03, 2006

Evolution of a Painting...

I've been working on this large scale piece for quite some time now. Throughout the process, I've documented most of the major steps, tracking its evolution and progression. The piece started out with a grid system. However, when I attempted to hang the piece up to work on it, small rips formed. These rips made me pretty upset, so I ended up tearing the piece apart. From the torn pieces, a new work developed.

It is tentatively titled, The World Undone.

I was thinking a lot about Chaos Theory. Hence the butterflies. I have also been reading some poetry by Francis Thompson, who's work seems to be early Chaos Theory. Particularly a line that goes:

"Thou canst not stir a flower without troubling of a star."






























Here is the piece in its latest incarnation. I've still got some work yet to do on it, but I like the direction in which it is taking.

No comments: