Friday, April 07, 2017

Catching Up...

There was a time when missing a day of blogging would make me panic a little... let alone a month or more!  At one point, I was posting three or four times a day.

In addition to taking some time off from the internet to ground and center, I've been posting more on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Now that I have a smart phone and reliable internet, it is so easy to upload ideas and images to those forums.  I still miss blogging though and I see how the act of blogging has helped me a lot in organizing my thoughts.  It takes a little time and forces you to pick your words and not fire off so easily.  With some of the other ways that I share the inner workings of my brain, it is dangerously easy to get in trouble by reacting and posting without really being mindful.  That can happen with blogging too, but I feel like there's more work in composing a post and formatting it, that those extra steps help alleviate some of those rash put-your-foot-in-your-mouth moments.

I also see blogging as a valuable tool to preserve things.  I've noticed that some of the other social media platforms are somewhat ephemeral and you have to really dig to find content that you created that you're looking for.  For instance, if I was curious about what I did at any given point throughout the many years of blogging, all I'd have to do is search the date and there it'd be.  It's a little bit harder with the more immediate platforms.

So, I'm going to be more mindful about posting here as well, even if the content is duplicated.  (Sorry folks who follow me in multiple places!)  I imagine it'll take some time to get back into the rhythm of posting on a regular basis.

No comments: