Friday, August 28, 2015

Glass Experiments...

After the ring I made for book club, I've really been interested in making some of my own cabochons to set.  I've been playing around with glass fusing and have been having fun mixing colors and testing out the best ways to pack the glass for the effects I want to achieve.

The pictures aren't super.  I snapped them on the fly.  This is an experiment using enamel powders.  It gives a sort of hazy, stained look.  The larger pieces give a more graphic, speckled look.


This experiment came from playing with metal.  I used copper shavings to tint the glass.  It made the glass turn a smoky greenish gray color.  It'll be interesting to see if this is stable or not.  I hope so.  I'd like to use some of these in rings and don't want them to implode if they get smacked.  I'd also like to see this tumbled.

I want to avoid anything that is already commercially available.  I know that you can by glass stones by the bagful for cheap, so it's important for me to make these as different as possible.  I want these to have a little magic to them and I think I'm on the right track!

No comments: