Monday, January 16, 2012

Winter's Mirror...

It has been a relatively mild winter so far.  I am grateful for that.  I don't think that the transition into being a storeowner would have gone very smoothly at all had I been forced to shovel my way out of my house to go to work on a daily basis.  (I generally run as fast and far from the cold as possible!)

But the sunny skies and temperatures in the 60's couldn't last forever.  The cold has set in and blanketed everything in snow.  This is a shot from my window. If you look closely, you'll see a herd of deer at the edge of the woods.  If you can't spot them, don't worry!  They're very good at vanishing into the landscape.

Sometimes I feel like that... like I'm disappearing into the background.  I don't mind this feeling.  I was an awkward pre-teen and wished with all my might not to stand out or be noticed.  I felt comfortable in the role of observer and even still, I gravitate towards roles of support, rather than being in the spotlight.  It's funny... to look out at a landscape, foreign from my youth and upbringing, but see so much of my personal history in the barren branches, long blue shadows, and crystalline whiteness.

No comments: