Friday, February 12, 2010

Rushing By...

I'm back in Asheville now. Being in Tucson seems like it happened so long ago, even though it was only days ago that I stood there in the desert. I feel slightly hung over from the experience. Too much fun, too many good people, too much warm weather and bright skies. Leaving created a vacant spot in my heart. I know it'll fill right back up when I return to my routines, but it's still there now... that empty place, missing the desert.

The drive back, Greg and I decided not to stop and to push through all night and drive straight on. We took shifts driving. It was a solitary experience, going back. I was deep in thought the entire time. I wonder if it wasn't in part because it was my brother's birthday. I called my parents while Greg was driving, as I do every year on my brother's birthday. We didn't talk about Dwayne. We rarely do these days. We talk about the weather, about Max and Azalea, and about my big plans. We don't talk about my brother, but I know we're all thinking about him. Who has he become? Would he recognize me? Would he know me if he saw me, or would I know him? I sometimes find old pictures of my brother from when he was young and sometimes I'll confuse them for pictures of myself, but then remember that when he left, they stopped taking pictures of me. There are years without pictures – only faded memories remain.

I wonder sometime if that's why I've set about chronicling my life, taking pictures, writing words and sharing my experiences with others. Perhaps I can capture a little bit of that sunset, or let those I love live on.

Speaking of friends and people I love, the delightful Ute Bernsen of Silk Painting is Fun dropped by the booth to say hello. It's always good to see her. She's got such a comforting vibe and I love her German accent. Not to mention, they carry a beautiful selection of hand-dyed silk.

Look who stopped by? Pam and Heather Wynn! I was so happy that they could make it out. I was a little bummed that they weren't down the aisle this year and that I might not get a chance to see them at all. We did offer some of their beautiful goods on our table, but it's not quite the same. So it was extra exciting when they dropped by. (I am envious that they got to go shopping instead of having to work the show.)

Look who else dropped by? Jason and Jamie of the Bead Gallery all the way from Hawaii! It was a real treat seeing them. They are some of the nicest people that I know and always brighten the room they're in. Luckily I'll probably see them soon at the Soft Flex Spring Show in Hawaii.

One of my favorite Swarovski Crystal dealers, K. Gottfried, was at the show. I dropped by quickly to vote for my Crystal Caterpillar piece (which is a semi-finalist in their World Wide Design Competition) and say hello to Mayda and pick up some lovely new crystals. Above is a shot of Mayda at her booth, my bracelet in the center, and of Mayda next to competition table. (They were so nice! They gave me their succulents from their display since I was driving back. I will happily add them to my growing collection.)

The snow prevented Jill MacKay from going home, but allowed me to see her again and talk about her new line from Darice Inc. Guess who also came by? Candice Wakumoto and her husband Paul. Candice found some great skulls for my skull shop while she was out and about shopping the shows, AND she dropped off the metal clay focal pieces that will be featured in my shop! Keep an eye out for these masterpieces!

Always hamming it up for the camera, Christi Friesen posed for the camera! She's so funny! I love her energy and excitement. She's just launched an awesome line of polymer clay tools and came out with a fantastic book called, Steampunkery: Polymer Clay and Mixed Media Projects.

Beth from Echo Artworks was set up across the way. She had a great selection of vintage, natural and unusual components and supplies. I am remiss that I didn't get the opportunity to dig more through her array of finds.

On the last day of the show, before we left, I was afforded the day to run around and do some errands and shop a little. It was great to get a taste of Tucson during the Gem Show. I am normally too busy working the table to get out and shop. I will have to make a point of going out there one day with several days to pursue the vast selections of things to see. I did get to drop by the Whole Lotta Whimsy headquarters and pick up an order and quickly dash through Grant Inn (seeing some of my all-time favorite vendors). My time in Tucson flew by, rushing past. Soon though, I'll be there again, wondering how it felt like I was just there.

5 comments:

Kathy Van Kleeck said...

Bittersweet.
There really is something about driving through the night in that part of the world that leads one to introspection. My version - driving through the high NM dessert at 3a.m. OTW fly out for my dad's funeral. Magical and wrenching - an odd combination of emotions.

Elizabeth said...

Great piece, Andrew!

Anonymous said...

Nice photos! It brings back memories of doing shows. Have fun in Asheville with the kids!

Jill MacKay said...

Hi Andrew! As always it was great to see you. You are so wonderful!

I finally made it home and we have 37 inches of snow at my house. Holy heck! One of these days we will be able to visit with each other in PA! Until then be afe, happy and stay creating. You rock!
xoxo love, Jill

Gaea said...

Maybe you are hoping that he will find your words and then in turn find you. The reason for documenting....