Monday, June 01, 2020

Siren's Song...

Can it really be June? It seems like I blinked and MerMay was over. I don't know if it'll end for me just yet though. I think I have a few more paintings on this subject left in me. (Plus lots of mermaid-inspired jewelry!)⠀ ⠀
I call this one, "Siren's Song". It's one of the most classical stories. It's a story of otherworldly songs that lure the intended (victim) to a watery grave. The sirens are said to be beautiful creatures, but are deadly. ⠀ ⠀
I sometimes wonder about the old myths. While I love mythology, a lot of the Greek ones were about raping women and conquering monsters... who were usually women. Of course, the demonization of women is a useful tool if you're trying to control them. Ancient Greece was not so big on women empowerment. I think I'd drown them too! ⠀ ⠀
I'd like to transcend the ancient click bait symbolism, and instead promote messages of freedom, self-expression, wonder, and mystery. I don't know if these things are communicated with my paintings or not. Maybe they are? Maybe they aren't? I can't control that. All I can do is know that it's there. I thought about these things while I made this thing.
Want to add, "Siren's Song" to your collection? You can find out more on the Allegory Gallery website.

No comments: