Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Day Trip to Ohio...

With the store and our somewhat hectic (and often times overlapping schedules), William and I don't get to take much time for ourselves.  It's unfortunate, but a reality that most small business owners face in the first few years of business.  But my sister, Sheila, and her husband were visiting from China... so we made a point to take a day off.

We couldn't go down to Florida for Christmas this year, but luckily Sheila and Steve were in Ohio for a few days before they traveled South.  We met up in Youngstown, Ohio and visited the Butler Art Institute of American Art.

I was really impressed with the collection.  I wasn't super familiar with the museum, so I didn't know what to expect.  I think everyone was pleasantly surprised by the rather extensive collection of artwork by well-known artists from a vast array of time periods and styles of art.  They had everything from early folk art to contemporary masters.  One of my favorites was the painting, "Seer" by Adolph Gottlieb.  While it's clearly Modern, there's something ancient and primal with the symbolic iconography.

After the art museum, we headed over to Kravitz Delicatessen for lunch.  Everyone agreed that the reuben sandwiches were most excellent!  I had the Reuben McMillan with a side of potato salad and a pickle!  Yum!

It was really nice to catch up with Sheila and Steve.  We shared stories and laughed.  It was interesting to hear about their adventures and the cultural differences.  I'm really glad that William and I could take a day off and that we all found a way to see each other!

No comments: